Tuesday 31 May 2011

Writing Letters

Ours is a digital world. Our lives are fast and we have technology to make them faster. In all this mess we seem to forget the important things.
I don't know a single person who sends letters in the (snail) mail anymore, even though receiving something in the mail (other than a bill) is one of the best feelings in the world.
Reconnect with someone who have moved interstate or overseas. You may not get a reply, but just knowing you made someone's day can brighten your own.
With this in mind, I'm going to use this idea in a slightly different way. The special person in my life is my one-year-old cousin and goddaughter.
Since she's too young to read and would probably eat anything I give her, I've come up with a plan. I got this idea from a friend's 21st, whose dad wrote him a letter on the day he was born and then read it during the speeches. His mum got a group of his close friends to write him letters, put it in a scrapbook and each person read their letter out during speeches as well. It ended up being his favourite present.
For Kiara I am going to write her a letter every year around her birthday, make it all pretty, put it in an equally-pretty sealed box and give it to her on her 21st birthday.
Imagine receiving a present 21 years in the making!

The first step is to find your materials in your local Arts & Crafts store.. I've gone with a pink flower theme.
Here you can see I've got two different types of paper, an envelope, some stick on jewels, some pins to attach the paper together and some heart sparkles.
I used a stencil to make her name the centrepiece of the page and wrote my message underneath. This year I've just gone with a simple poem about how happy I am to be her godmother.
Using gel pens I wrote it all out.. it's best to get a few spare pages so you can test your different pens. Using gel pens on glossy paper with stencils can often lead to smudges so you have to be very careful and clean the pen tip and stencil after every turn, allowing the ink to dry before doing the next letter. After I finished writing the letter I added my little stick on jewels for decoration.
Happy 1st Birthday. Here I've used the other paper I have, using my stencil again, but with my silver paint-pen. Paint-pens are even more difficult to use than gel pens.. This took me a while to get it right!
Stick both pages together using one of the pins, decorate your envelope and put inside.
As a last little touch I added 4 photos of us in her first year.. This one is my favourite and is the first time I ever held her! 

Have a go at writing letters to your loved ones!

Happy Making!


Naé Danielle..

No comments:

Post a Comment