Wednesday 6 April 2011

Birthday Cakes

I recently had my 21st birthday, and as I was going through old photos for my slideshow, I came across birthday photos from my childhood. The thing that surprised me most was not the fact that my hair used to blonde and curly, but the amazing-ness of my homemade cakes.

 
Just look at how I am dragging the table cloth towards me to get at the cake!

As the years went by, we got older and busier. Birthdays came around and it was always a bought cake. Now, bought cakes cane be good (I remember getting the same one for several years), but nothing beats a homemade cake!
So, for my 21st, I decided to make one myself and went with my favorite character, Tigger.

 
I’ve been obsessed with Tigger ever since I met him at Disneyland when I was 6 months old!

Please note: Planning ahead for something like this is a must! Coming home with 4 hours until the party starts, with nothing else done and showing mum a cake tin saying ‘Look what I found!’, is not good for anyone’s stress levels.
So, as mentioned above, we used a cake tin. You can get a cake tin from a cake decoration shop and you just pay to hire it (may include bond). You get instructions on how to use it and such, but you will need to purchase things like icing and food dye separately, something that they will also most likely have. Now, while all this sounds like a lot of money, it ended up being way cheaper than buying a cake!
First things first is to put in your cake mixture and cook it. While that is being cooked you need to prepare the board (we bought a silver one from the shop) and the icing. Mix all the colors you need in, but be careful not to get it anywhere. We found this out after mum tried to remove some black dye from her finger and ended up with black teeth for a few hours!
Once the cake is cooked place on the board and begin to decorate!

Once it comes out of the cake tin, you can see the mold-lines, which you outline in black to get the shape.

 
For the outline we chose the color white because we wanted Tigger to stand out. To get the ‘Smooth’ effect we used our finger dipped in hot water and ran them over the icing until it went smooth.

 
Amy and Mum. I definitely wouldn’t have been able to pull off my party OR my cake without them! They’re amazing!

 
More piping! Piping bags and tips are a must! We had a few different shapes for different effects.

 
Adding the final touches and extra icing covered cupcakes for decoration.

Until finally…

 
Ta-Da!

So my cake ended up being a huge success! Everyone had some and said it was great… Although I wasn’t very happy with them for eating Tigger!!
Have a go at making your own cake and let me know how it goes!

Happy cooking!
Naé Danielle..

No comments:

Post a Comment